Suitable For: Anyone wanting to skill up
Time needed: 2.5 hours once a month
Investment: $495 for 12 workshops (discounted if you take on The Ingredient Challenge as well)
Wandering Cooks and FAN (The Food and Agribusiness Network) have partnered up to bring you these series of workshops. They’re practical, hands on, and focused.
If you’re interested on starting a food business but not sure where to start, this is a great beginning. And if you’re immersed in the day to day running of your food business already, they’re an excellent way to keep skilling up and to troubleshoot any emerging issues with expert teachers and a committed group body of students. You don’t need to be using our kitchens to be part of this program.
Sign up to the Open Day to find out more info
Topics we'll cover:
- Who is your customer?
- Time management
- Brand & Direct marketing
- Labeling, packaging & logos
- Negotiating deals & lease contracts
- Pitching & fundraising
- Tradeshows and consumer events
- Gaining control of your finances
- Making progress, goal setting
- Design, construction, licencing
- Business models & learning to pivot
For who: You’ve got your dream, now it’s time to play
Time needed: 2 hours
Investment: free to attend, essential to register, $25 for brunch (optional)
Our December Open Day will tell you everything you need to know about starting your business at Wandering Cooks. And it’s the gateway to The Ingredient Challenge, which is how we know you’re ready. Plus… there’s prizes thanks to Silverchef and Aria!
What you'll get:
- an insiders look at our kitchens, our incubation, and how Wandering Cooks works
- introductions to farmers we work with, some current food businesses, and other local food business owners
- information and discussion around starting out
- the opportunity to apply for THE INGREDIENT CHALLENGE
For who: Anyone ready to leap into their food business dreams, with expert support and a community behind them
Time needed: 1 month of workshops (3 x 3 hour events across 4 weeks) and as much experimenting at home as you can.
The Ingredient Challenge will be set at Open Day. If you participate, you will be working to a list of produce (the ingredients) that’s available from the local, ethical farmers we celebrate. You will be supported by us and our mentors, over a whole month (workshops and working from home), to develop menus & products that are a direct response to these ingredients.
Then, at the end of the month, there will be a tasting event of the menus you’ve conceived. The most successful participants are in the running for $16.5K worth of prizes thanks to Silverchef and Aria!
Plus, if our experts deem you ready, you will be next in line for incubating at Wandering Cooks, either through food service or manufacturing your product. If our experts think you need some skilling up first, you will be able to participate in the next Challenge and sign up to the INSIDE OUT Workshops.
Mentors include Ben Williamson, award winning ex-executive Chef of Gerard’s Bistro.
What you'll get:
- expert advice from our mentors
- a solid menu based on local, seasonal ingredients
- a clear path forward specific to your skill level
- the chance at winning a share of the $16.5k of prizes on offer to participants with the most immediate potential
- the chance at being next in line for incubation as a food business in service or manufacture
For who: food business owners ready to take on an incubation spot in our kitchens, to reach their full potential.
Time needed: 1 – 2 years
Investment: a weekly charge based on the frequency and popularity of your shifts, averaging out at $19/h.
If you’ve made it through The Ingredient Challenge, and our experts think you’re ready, we’ll put you in line for a service or services from our kitchens, or find you a suitable spot to start making your product. You start to earn by selling your food, while we help you grow bigger and better through workshops, check ins and accountabilities.
What you'll get
- a track record of your progress
- a curriculum with core modules that will flesh out all aspects of your food business
- a community that's cheering you on
- a step closer to your own venue!